How to Create a Watercolour Sketch Journal: Castlemaine workshop
12 April:15 April
FULLY BOOKED. This is for anyone who would like to learn a fun and easy way to draw, create a great-looking travel sketchbook and understand the mysteries of how to use watercolour .
Join us in Castlemaine Victoria for a relaxed, fun set of 4 workshops on how to create a lovely watercolour travel journal. No experience is necessary and no talent required for this workshop. Easy!
These workshops will suit everyone whether you are a total beginner or you are a seasoned sketcher.
- You produce according to your skill set and you learn from others around you.
- Lots of gentle guidance and direction from your teacher shows you how easy it is to produce good results and you will improve enormously with each session.
- There is no judgement, no fear, no criticism – just a really enjoyable experience.
KATE STEDMAN, an experienced teacher, takes you step-by-step in each workshop so that you never feel overwhelmed and the whole experience is fun as well as educational.
To see her artwork and find out more about her click HERE
These workshops provide friendship, laughs and lots of fun.
- Learn how to present not just an easy sketch but a travel journal with interesting layout, headings, texts, collage and colour.
- Learn how to make any sketch “POP” out for the viewer
We have 4 workshops spread morning and afternoon over 2 days in the regional country town of historic Castlemaine, Victoria, Australia. Each workshop is about 2.5 hours long so there is plenty of time to explore and sketch and stretch your legs inbetween times.
Your experienced tour manager and host Kate Stedman is an historian, art lover and avid sketcher and she will take you to her favourite spots and regale you with fun facts and historic gems each day as well.
Day 1: Arrive hotel April 12 and meet the group for a welcome drink in our hotel foyer at 4 pm. Welcome dinner in town provided tonight
Day 2: Workshop at hotel in morning. LIGHT LUNCH PROVIDED. Workshop on location in township in the afternoon. Free evening
Day 3: Workshop at hotel in morning. LIGHT LUNCH PROVIDED. Workshop on location in township in the afternoon. Free evening
Day 4: Tour ends after breakfast and you are free to depart on April 15
4 days starting April 12 – 15 in 2021.
COST in AUD:
$850 per person for two people sharing a room – EITHER TWIN ROOM or DOUBLE BED
$380 extra for a single traveller booking own room
NB: Deposit of $300 AUD is required to hold your place on this tour.
This is 50% refundable up till 30 days before tour commencement date.
After this date it is non-refundable.
This great value price includes
- Accommodation 3 nights in a well-appointed 3+ star hotel
- 3 breakfasts
- 2 lunches
- 1 dinner with wine
- All tuition for 4 workshops
TO RESERVE YOUR SPOT NOW PLEASE contact us first ( email: email@example.com,au, or call Kate on 0414358975 ) to check there is availability and then
FILL OUT ONLINE BOOKING FORM & PAY DEPOSIT (payment details in booking form)
You will need to bring your own car or organise to travel in one with a friend. Our hotel is a 20 minute walk into central Castlemaine for sketching each day.
Arriving from interstate? we suggest you
- fly to Melbourne and hire a car at the airport to make the 1 and a 1/4 hour drive up to Castlemaine
- or fly in to Bendigo (Qantas) and either take the half hour train up to Castlemaine or hire a car in Bendigo
- or drive from for example: Sydney and overnight in Albury. The return trip book overnight in eg: Wagga
Accommodation is in a historic pub with spacious rooms with own bathroom and acres of space to learn and sketch in.
There is a fireplace, piano and bar and cosy comfortable couches to relax in.
THE FIRST PEOPLE TO BOOK WILL BE ALLOCATED THE BIGGEST ROOMS FIRST.
PLEASE NOTE: We will be working from and staying in our own private country hotel in Castlemaine.
* There is not the option to book your own accommodation as we will be all staying together in the one hotel and we have negotiated a special group rate for everyone so that we can use all the hotel facilities and be comfortable working indoors if necessary.
The rooms are all different in size as it is an old house converted into a hotel.
All bedrooms are located upstairs with their own bathrooms.
They are all lovely comfortable rooms with spacious bathrooms.
THE FIRST PEOPLE TO BOOK WILL BE ALLOCATED THE BIGGEST ROOMS FIRST.
There’s a fireplace and a glass of port for the evenings at our hotel and delicious coffee and hot croissants for brekky each day. A simple lunch is provided daily along with one evening meal we will have together in a historic cafe downtown that is definitely worth a visit and a sketch!
Down the road are fabulous things to visit and sketch that will keep you occupied well beyond the two workshop days if you so want.
Castlemaine is a quirky artist-friendly township and was established in 1851 during the famous Victorian goldrush period and has many original buildings dating from around or soon after this period with wonderful mansions (eg Buda, the Empyre, the Imperial hotel etc), great cafes, a church on every corner and lots of great shops to ferret in!
A short walk from our hotel are:
- the lovely Botanic gardens
- the Historic Railway station
- Johnny Bakery – renowned for its gourmet food
- The Old Castlemaine Gaol at the top of the hill is now owned by artist David Bromley and should be open by the time of our tour. The gaol is literally PACKED with artworks and homewares to comb through!
- the bric-a-brac Old Restorers Barn
- the marvellous Old Woollen Mill chimney to sketch
- The Modern Art Gallery
- the enormous Vintage Bazaar for those who want to sketch pregnant barbie dolls for instance?
Each day after our Workshop and a quick lunch, we will drive into town to do an afternoon sketch together somewhere and then you have free time to explore parts of Castlemaine.
The Weather in April is reasonably good: clear blue sunny skies usually. But if the weather turns we have our own indoor workshop space for daily lessons anyway. So all seasons are catered for.
WHAT YOU NEED TO BRING:
- Pencil case
- Bulldog clips for windy days to hold your pages down!
- 1 x pack of Staedtler (cheap) watercolour pencils (about $15)
- Pencil sharpener
- Fine point-pencil (eg like a draftperson would use)
- Posca white fine point pen from Officeworks (see picture)
- Small glue stick
- Small scissors
- Black biro
- Uniball pen (black from Officeworks)
- Small plastic ruler (Officeworks)
- A sketch stool (I got mine: a Kid’s Camp Chair – for $10 from KMart or BigW)
- Small Water pot with a lid to use when out sketching (eg specimen jar at chemist)
- Sketch journal: A4 size in LANDSCAPE approx: 200 gsm (no ring binder so you can sketch across the two pages (NB: if you buy the kit below from Larry Post this will be included)
- Your watercolour kit. Do you have your own watercolour kit with paints, palette, brushes etc? If so, then bring them along. (see below)*
*If you DO NOT have your own watercolour sketch kit with paints, tin-palette and brush then the kit below is the BEST value anywhere on the globe to buy and set yourself up. It is from LARRY POST ART SUPPLIES in Sydney.
This suggested Sketch Watercolour Kit contains a quality sketch-book, brush and watercolour paints.
You can bring your own set if you have one but be aware – a good kit is WORTH ITS WEIGHT IN GOLD!
The colours in this kit are based on WHITE NIGHTS artist quality watercolours and are great value watercolours for the adult beginner. We recommend full pans 2.5mL for your initial set-up then switch to 10mL tubes as you need to refill later on:
This kit contains everything you will need for the workshops plus a free paint palette & postage within Australia is included:
– WHITE NIGHTS full pans x 12 (list below)
– WHITE NIGHTS empty metal palette
– UNI Air waterproof pen
– HAND-BOOK Sketchbook Journal A4 landscape about 200gsm in thickness
– ROSEMARY & CO R10 synthetic size 8 travel brush
– UNI Posca Pen White for creating highlights
If you would like to buy some or all of this kit click on this link and put in the quantity (just 1 for most of you) in every field if you want the lot and then place the order. Jenny will then post it out to you.
If worried you can call Jenny at Larry Post Art Supplies in Sydney on 02 8668 4247 to order this kit (total kit costs $136) and ask about the Kate Stedman’s Art Kit as it is a negotiated really good deal to get these quality materials all in one kit that will last you always.
(WHITE NIGHTS colours: 253 Aureolin (Cobalt Yellow) 244 Indian Gold 405 Raw Sienna 408 Burnt Sienna 319 Carmine 302 Cadmium Red Light 324 Quinacridone Rose 511 Ultramarine Blue 532 Cobalt Azure Blue 508 Cobalt Blue 713 Emerald green 716 Sap Green)