Gourmet Illustration and Sketching Retreat France July 2021
2 July:7 July€2,300
- Join your host, historian and France expert Kate Stedman, chef Nikki Shields and artist Renata Lahalle on this wonderful 6 day luxury Gourmet retreat in the beautiful French Alps. Stay in a beautifully appointed chalet style house that Nikki has tastefully restored with the finest local French brocantes (vintage & bric-a-brac and decor.) This is a total treat for the palate and the senses. ALL MEALS AND WINES ARE INCLUDED in this 6 day Retreat as well as daily sketching workshops at our Retreat in the mountains
A wealth of experience for the senses:
- the healthiest freshest food in France cooked by your own chef daily and paired with local wines. (PLEASE NOTE: all food is the highest quality VEGETARIAN.)
- Renata will teach you her fun method for learning to illustrate and sketch food and creating visual recipes in their simplest forms (in watercolor and pencil) in a unique environment – a newly renovated chalet “barn” especially designed for luxury retreat activities. No need to be an expert artist, anyone is welcome as we can all do this and it is SO MUCH FUN!
And don’t worry – we will get plenty of experience doing general sketching as well each day in this lovely locale
- tasteful decor and the most heavenly of views in the world
- relax, laugh, learn, wander, eat, drink, rest
- look out your window and see lambs and cows and spectacular mountain views!
The Hosts: Nikki – an Australian and her Irish husband Hugh – have lived in “Chalet Savoie Faire” for 13 years. They have built the chalet from what was once an old cow barn and today is a thriving Retreat for people from around the world. Totally refurbished and decorated in the most chic, creative, alpine decor all sourced from local towns, this Chalet is unique. There is something to admire, sketch and photograph in every corner.
Hugh will serve cocktails in his snug and glamorous upstairs bar and Nikki, a chef for decades, will serve us amazing gourmet fresh meals in her chalet dining rooms or at one of many secret surprise locations she uses and the views will take your breath away.
Each day we do illustrating and a sketching workshop in the most idyllic of surroundings and facilitiies. This is then followed by a memorable picnic lunch, then relaxing, walking, exploring, resting, more sketching – in fact whatever you would like to do before we meet for aperitifs and a light gourmet dinner with wines each night.
What will the weather be?
Mostly in early July the weather is fine to very warm with spectacular clear blue skies.
Whether the weather is warm and sunny or more “alpine” we are snug in our glamorous chalet Retreat each day for fun workshops. We need not fear the elements up here in the majestic French Alps.
Each day you have the healthiest of breakfasts served to you before we start our day sketching and illustrating in the Retreat.
Nikki will treat us each day to organic nutritious food to re-boot your body. (vegans and vegetarians catered for)
She will serve us surprise picnics as well as supply recipes and ingredients for us to sketch each day in our Gourmet Journal.
Is it steep and dangerous up there?
NO. Even though we are in the French Alps, the roads are not steep and walking is easy, VERY scenic and nothing is far away.
We recommend you SUBSCRIBE TO OUR NEWSLETTER to get tour updates as they come in and ensure you do not miss out.
Your experienced tour manager and guide Kate Stedman is an historian, art lover and avid sketcher and she will take you to her favourite spots and regale you with fun facts and historic gems each day as well.
About Renata Lahalle
Renata speaks 4 languages fluently (English, French, Spanish and German!) and by her own admission is not sure what nationality she really is!
Born in Switzerland, she grew up in South America, married a Frenchman, worked in France and now lives in Spain.
She is a wonderful, inspirational generous teacher with an absolute love of pepole and teaching them. With 22,000 followers on Instagram she is a very popular artist. See her online courses here in both English and French.
An accomplished artist and outstanding teacher Renata runs workshops in both France and in Spain as well as a weekly instructional blog for sketchers.
Her positive, generous spirit has made her one of our most loved French Fusion Travel intructors and people come back just to learn more from her on each of our tours with her.
Imagine strolling past Beaufort dairy cows listening to cowbells on your evening walk down to dinner, with the glorious French Alps as your backdrop.
- 6 days accommodation at our Chalet in the mountains with workshops, demos and instruction each day
- All meals included with all wines and aperitifs
- Group transfer provided to Moutiers train station after the tour ends on July 7 after breakfast
- International airfares are not included in the tour price.
- Travel to begin the tour at our chalet is not included in the tour price
We recommend you travel in to Lyon France airport your own way and then we suggest you board a local train to the alpine town of Moutiers Salon Brides-les-Bains train station (timetables and instructions to assist you getting here will be provided) then take a local taxi (or we can book a transfer for you if you ask in advance) to go directly to our Chalet by early afternoon of July 2 in 2021.
NON-SKETCHERS ARE MOST WELCOME ON THIS TOUR IF THEY ARE SHARING A ROOM WITH A SKETCHER
6 days starting July 2 and ending July 7 in 2021
COST in EUROS:
€ 2,300 EUROS per person for two people sharing a room (fully inclusive price of room & full board, tutelage etc)
€ 2,000 EUROS per person for a person not sketching (must be partner sharing room with a sketcher)
€ 600 EUROS add this cost to the € 2,300 EUROS to have your own room as a solo traveller
All payments are to be made in Australian Dollars. To convert the tour cost into your own currency please use the www.xe.com website converter.
NB: Deposit of $1,000 AUD is required to hold your place on this tour.
This is partially refundable up till 150 days before tour commencement date.
After this date it is non-refundable. Please see the last tab for booking terms and conditions.
* Travel insurance is a mandatory requirement for all participants on our tours
What you will learn from Renata:
We will be seated in our comfortable chalet Workshop with plenty of space each day.
We will get recipes of what is being served us at meals and will commence by sketching and drawing individual ingredients in our morning workshop whilst afternoons are devoted to finishing off and doing general sketching with Renata.
During this time Renata will show you:
- How to handle a watercolor brush
- How to use watercolor washes
- How to choose and use color in different ways
- How to use ink
- How to portray food creatively and tell a good food story
- Creative Hand Lettering
- Planning and layout of your recipe pages for maximum effect
- Decorating your pages
- Working in watercolor first and pen after
- Decorative effects and easy ways to draw food and draw buildings, objects and scenes
- Using mixed media (masking fluid, posca, colored paper etc)
6 days starting in GRAND NAVES at our chalet accommodation at 5 pm on July 2 and ending after breakfast on 7 July in 2021 at our chalet.
Arrangements will be made on JULY 7 to take everyone by transfer to the MOUTIERS train station for their onward travel.
When booking flights please ensure you can arrive at the chalet around 2- 3 pm on July 2 and can depart after breakfast on JULY 7 either by your own car or on our group transfer to Moutiers train station for a midday train departure.
NB: THIS TOUR IS A NOT A CONFIRMED DEPARTURE until minimum numbers have been reached.
Please contact us before you book flights for this tour to ensure the tour is going ahead.
If you have booked on the tour we will notify you as soon as the tour becomes a definite departure so that you can go ahead and make your travel arrangements.
French Fusion Travel reserves the right to cancel the tour and refund you your deposit up to 5 months (150 days) before the departure date of the tour.
TRAVEL INSURANCE is a mandatory requirement for all participants on this tour. Please ensure you take out coverage after you have deposited to protect you in the case of cancellation due to unforeseen circumstances.
Your tour price includes your accommodation and all board.
Our accommodation is spread across 2 -3 properties:
We encourage people to consider sharing a room for two with its own bathroom to keep costs down for you but also so that we can offer the limited accommodation we have to others too.
Of course, if you would prefer not to share a room with someone and will happily pay the solo supplement that is fine too and we can accommodate you.
If you are a solo traveller and happy to share if someone else asks to – we can tee that up for you – subject to our ability to match you up with someone else.
Being a small “canton” or French neighborhood in the French Alps, the accommodation of Naves is across TWO properties.
All rooms are different but they are all lovely and cosy.
In a little mountain village is Nikki and Hugh’s chalet: CHEZ MILO.
- 1 x TWIN BED room in DREAM – with ONE bathroom (ideal for 2 people sharing a room & a bathroom)
- 1 x TWIN BED room in CLOUD – with ONE bathroom (ideal for 2 people sharing a room & a bathroom)
Rooms are allocated on a first come first served basis.
Nikki and Hugh’s home: CHALET SAVOIE FAIRE :
2 TWIN SHARE bedrooms (both have their own bathroom):
- Cow Room – 2 beds, 1 bathroom (ideal for 2 people sharing one bathroom between them)
- Madeleine – 2 beds for 2 people with 1 enormous bathroom
Rooms are allocated on a first come first served basis.
The daily workshops are held at Chez Milo. Dinners will be at Chalet Savoie Faire. We will walk between the two little villages for this (a flat scenic walk)